SAFE wants to assure you that we are here for you during these uncertain times. We are committed to putting your wellbeing first by providing services you need now.
We’ve expanded our emergency services to help support you. As we continue to monitor the effects of the pandemic on our membership, we will work to add more ways to assist you.
Here’s what we’re doing to assist you:
- Expanding our Skip-A-Pay program for vehicle and personal loans as well as credit cards to free up your cash flow.1
Go here to learn more and start the process.
- Offering no- to low-interest short-term personal loans to help you bridge gaps in personal expenses2
- Providing mortgage payment deferral programs to give you peace of mind3
- Increasing SAFE credit card limits to meet your increased spending needs4
- Eliminating the fee for overdraft transfers to give you one less thing to worry about5
- Extending real estate loan rate-locks to reduce a unique stress of purchasing a home right now6
- Providing commercial loan payment deferral programs to give our business members some breathing room4
- Connecting businesses with necessary money through SBA loan assistance programs4
- Waiving fees for cash advances taken at any SAFE ATM, through CALL-24 Phone banking, or through SAFE Online Banking7
1 $25 fee waived for Pandemic Skip-a-Pay program through September 30, 2020. Finance charges will continue to accrue during the deferral period and total finance charges and number of payments may be higher than originally disclosed. 2 Loans subject to approval. 3 Restrictions may apply. Available by member request by calling (800) 701-4115 or emailing lossmitinquiry@DMIcorp.com. 4 Available by member request. Subject to approval. 5 $6 overdraft transfer fee waived through August 31, 2020. 6 Extending 60-day rate-locks to 75 days at no additional cost. 7 APR is determined by your credit history. Cash Advance Fee: Either $10 or 3% of the amount of each transfer, whichever is greater. Late Payment Fee: $15 or the current minimum payment amount, whichever is less. Returned Payment Fee: Up to $10. Foreign Transaction Fee: Up to 1% of each transaction in U.S. dollars (only applicable to Cash Rewards and Platinum Visa Credit Cards). Rates, terms, and conditions subject to change.
Home loans forbearance
If you are able to make your mortgage payments, please continue to do so through SAFE’s Online Banking and Mobile App. If you’re experiencing financial difficulties due to COVID-19, you may request to temporarily pause your mortgage payments. This is called forbearance.
How does forbearance work?
- Forbearance plans are not payment forgiveness plans. The amount not paid during the forbearance period will still need to be paid.
- During the forbearance period, we will suspend negative credit reporting and late charge assessments for up to 100 days.
- Once the forbearance period is over, any paused payments will need to be repaid in one of several ways:
- As a lump sum.
- Through a repayment plan in which an extra amount will be added to your regular mortgage payment to cover the amount you owe from the forbearance.
- Through a loan modification. We will work with you on this option if you are unable to pay the lump sum or through the repayment program.
Important note: Please continue to make your mortgage payments until you’ve been approved for a forbearance plan.
Can I get payment forgiveness from SAFE instead?
We know that some announcements in the news may have led you to believe that your mortgage company can waive your upcoming payments or offer payment forgiveness. However, SAFE complies with applicable agency guidelines. During this pandemic, the agencies are offering forbearance as an immediate relief option for homeowners who need assistance. They have not made payment forgiveness available at this time. We’ll keep you updated with any new information we have.
To learn more
If you are interested in exploring forbearance to cope with financial challenges due to COVID-19, please contact SAFE’s mortgage servicer to request a mortgage payment deferral.
Before you call...
Due to a high number of members seeking help, our call center and chat team are experiencing higher-than-normal activity, leading to longer wait times. We are also practicing social distancing in our branches. We encourage you to use our Online Banking and Mobile App for your banking needs as your first option. You can also use CALL-24 and our ATMs for certain transactions.
Banking services 24/7
At this time, we encourage you to use our 24/7 digital banking services at safecu.org, the SAFE Mobile App, CALL-24 and our ATMs for your banking needs. We are building self-service solutions on our app and online banking for you to access some of the assistance above.
Mobile App and Online Banking
If you haven’t already:
We’ve made it easy for you to:
Move your money
- Transfer money between accounts, pay bills, and send money to friends and family through Online Banking and the Mobile App.
- Access account information and transfer money between accounts using CALL-24.
- Withdraw cash and transfer money between accounts at SAFE ATMs.
- Snap a picture of your check with your smartphone and deposit rhrough Online Banking or the Mobile App.
- Sign up for direct deposit through your employer to have your paychecks automatically deposited into your account.
Pay your SAFE credit card, vehicle loan, personal loan, and mortgage with just a few taps in Online Banking and SAFE Mobile App.
Set up your digital wallet
Add your SAFE Visa® credit and debit cards to your digital wallet on your favorite mobile device for touchless pay options.
Turn cards on and off
Turn your SAFE Visa credit and debit cards off and on quickly through the Mobile App and Online Banking.
How we’re helping you in person
Our branch, call center, and online chat teams are ready to assist you with your individual needs. Due to many members seeking support, wait times may be affected.
- Branches: The Bradshaw branch is temporarily closed. All visitors to our other branches are required to wear protective masks. All other branches are open 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
- Call center: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday. 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday.
- Online chat: 6:30 a.m. to 6:30 a.m. Monday-Friday. 9 a.m. 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday.
SAFE is asking members not to visit branches if they are sick or showing COVID-19 symptoms such as fever, cough, or shortness of breath.
SAFE is keeping members up to date on any changes we’re making in response to the COVID-19 situation at safecu.org.